Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Draft who you want to draft...

Good old summertime. Fantasy football magazines start hitting the stands. Draft boards become available for purchase. Mock drafts are held to prepare for the real thing. To me, its every bit as welcome and exciting as the holidays. Draft day is Christmastime, and I end up hoping for good players "under my tree."
Magazines and webites alike will tell you that there is an unwritten law. You MUST take a RB in the first round...or at least two running backs in the first three rounds. I'm here to say that these "experts" can go fly a kite. Draft who you want! If you want to draft receivers in 3 of the first 4 rounds...go for it. I've seen people win championships that way. In fact last year, I drafted a QB first (Brees), then WRs in the next 3 rounds...and I made it to my championship game! I still ended up with decent RBs...LenDale White (thanks for those 15 TDs, my late round friend), Steve Slaton (9 TDs), Le'Ron McClain (another 10 TDs). If any expert had of seen my draft before the season, they would have chuckled as I passed over "surefire" first round picks (read: RB... no one else but running backs get to be "surefired" by experts.) to take a QB and then a slew of receivers.
My question is...why do these guys trumpet mediocre RB bums, when great QBs and WRs are there to be taken. In the past, such tomato cans as Willis McGahee and Laurence Maroney were hailed as "surefire" first round picks...uhhh... not for me thank you very much. Has anyone ever taken a close look as "expert" mock drafts? There are always some guys who take two RBs when there are CLEARLY WRs and QBs out there that will score much more just ripe for the taking.
Don't give in to peer pressure. Take whatever position you feel like taking. Draft day is the single most fun day in the Fantasy Football Calendar (except for the day you win the championship). You have your own kind of fun. Draft your way. Teams don't usually look the same by the end of the year anyway, so have some fun. Do the unconventional. And win.

1 comment:

  1. Wassup "Slim"!! I couldn't agree with you more. Give me a couple of good WRs over a tomato can RB any day!

    ReplyDelete